There are a lot of great features in Grandma’s living room – a beautiful fireplace mantel, a huge picture window, and a setup that allows both a small living area and an entry way with a large opening to the dining room (which we’ll use as an office). Some of the features, though, are a bit crazy (outdated fixtures, barnwood on the focal wall – is that a plus or minus? and green shag carpet covering hardwood floors that need to be refinished desperately).
So, to get my creative juices flowing, I made a mood board and compiled things I love and things I own that I’d like to put in the living room. Keep in mind that I’m not yet as awesome as Young House Love and I only did basics (not finishes) so this is a highly flexible and elementary mood board. Nevertheless, it really helped me decide on some pieces when I saw them together (and nix some others!) so, enjoy!
1. This isn’t the actual couch we’ll get, but I love that the lines on this couch go well with the lines of the chair (which is my current fave!). And to be honest, with a toddler and another baby on the way + pets, we’re looking for faux leather for the next several years. Target, $599
2. OMG, this chair! I wish I could link to it, but so far Ikea hasn’t released it since 1951 (although there are rumors that they are going to re-release it! I hope so!). Oogle this beauty in Ikea’s 2013 catalog.
3. I actually already have a beautiful half-round console table from Hobby Lobby (it was damaged and on clearance for $30, but my dad fixed and painted the problem area in about 20 minutes – thanks, Dad!), but this one is similar, albeit a little more modern. Target, on sale for $221
4. I’ve been looking for a playful lamp for the side table since our beautiful Tiffany-esque lamp cracked during the move, and while I’m not sold on this option, I love that it’s so much cheaper than the Pottery Barn version! Ikea, $49.99
5. This mirror! It’s huge, which goes well with the size of the console table and will create a nice focal point across from the front door. And really, for the size the price is decent. I may try to find some fun, similarly colored tiles and DIY this with a cheaper mirror. Target, $199.99
6. This table was a wedding shower gift that I love, love, love and am so glad that I could work it in to this room’s design. But really, I would’ve found a place for it somewhere or changed my design to use it! Target, $62.99
7. I love these Hemnes bookcases to flank both sides of the fireplace/mounted TV, add some trim, and give them a built-in look. This particular image is part of a premade combination, but you can totally design your own set with the doors, drawers and whatever else you want. Ikea, $375
8. Benjamin Moore Paints are super popular, and for a reason. I found this color on Pinterest and I think it’s perfect for the marriage of grey and brown that I want to achieve in the living room. Benjamin Moore, Revere Pewter
9. Doesn’t this throw look so comfy? Target, $34.99
10. I love this pair of decorative pillows, but I feel like I will probably make or find several more to add interest and layers. Target, $25.99
11. We’ll need a great rug for the main area (and possibly for the entry area as well, but I’m not sure what is going to work for that space yet) and I wanted something more traditional that pulled in the colors of the furniture and paint but added other colors as well. This Valby Ruta rug seems to do just that at a very decent price. Ikea, $79.99
To finish out this huge post, I’d like to add a super high-quality post of the layout of the living room.